Tuesday, March 26, 2013

what 20 miles looks like


Okay, so this isn't really what 20 miles looks like, but it's the only photo I have from our 20 miler on Sunday. (Plus, it was my treat after the long distance, and it's way more interesting than sneaker pics).

Chill is an amazing frozen yogurt place in Cleveland Circle right next to my old apartment, and I just can't let it go. I couldn't think of a better reward after 20 miles than coconut froyo, fresh mangos, strawberries, and bananas.

Back to the run: The poor hungover amazing CM drove over an hour to drop T and I off in Ashland, just 3 miles from the Hopkington and the start of the Boston Marathon. Ashland didn't provide us with much to look at, but it was exciting to run our whole run on the actual route, and Natick, Newton, and Wellesley are really beautiful. I was a little overdressed for the 45 degree weather and sunshine, but I'm not complaining with all of the snow we've had while training. T and I stopped at mile 13 for a water/GU break, and hit the hills hard at mile 15 when we turned onto Commonwealth Ave. We stopped again for water outside of Hearbreak Hill Running Company. I'm dying to buy some of their gear, and they're always so great about putting out water and cups for runners.

It turned out to only be 19 miles when we finally reached Cleveland Circle, so as much as we dreaded it, we took a lap around the reservoir to make it a full 20 miles. It was definitely tough, but it feels amazing to finally get that last long run out of the way. We have a couple more weeks of tapering (a 13 miler and a 10 miler before the big day), but we are definitely excited for it to get here!

In other news, a new favorite brussel sprout recipe (I'm hoping to incorporate more healthy recipes!):

Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts

1 lb of brussel sprouts (Or I used 2 bags of pre-packaged ones from Trader Joes)
2 cloves garlic
Block of parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Sea salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Cut sprouts in half and remove wilted outside leaves, rinse sprouts
2. Mince 2 (or more if desired) cloves of garlic
3. In a bowl, toss sprouts, minced garlic, and a generous amount of olive oil (maybe 3-5 tbl spoons)
5. Grate fresh parmesan and mix all of this together in the bowl, and season with sea salt and pepper
6. Spread on a non-stick oven safe pan, or grease a 9x1 3 glass dish
7. Roast for 40-50 minutes until outside leaves are golden brown and middle is tender

These are delicious and so easy! I can eat them by the bowl-full!

No comments:

Post a Comment